Five-Star's Big Board: Maryland
Verbal commitments, signings and priority targets
Over the course of the college season, Five-Star will be on the grind, gathering recruiting intelligence for some of the nation's premier programs -- outlining each team's current roster and program needs, commitments and signees, and top recruiting targets for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 classes.
Today, we'll peek inside the Maryland war room and answer the following questions: What are the team's immediate and longer-term needs? Who are the Terrapins after? Which players have already decided to take their talents to College Park?
FEATURE ARTICLE: Maryland hoping Harrison twins will be game changers
The Big Board: Verbal Commitments, Signings and Priority Targets:
|Guards||Seth Allen (signed)
Sam Cassell Jr.
|Wings/Forwards||Jake Layman (signed)||Kris Jenkins||Dwayne Morgan|
|Posts||Shaquille Cleare (signed)||Beejay Anya|
Current Roster and Program Needs:
Immediate Needs – 2012
- The Terps lose only guard Sean Mosley and center Berend Weijs to graduation, but it's possible sophomore guard Terrell Stoglin, the ACC's leading scorer at 21.6 points per game, could leave early. Maryland has a strong three-man class coming in, headlined by small forward Jake Layman and 6-9 center Shaq Cleare. The Terps are also looking at Notre Dame Prep senior guard Sam Cassell Jr., who will sign in the spring and is being courted by a number of programs, including UConn, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, USF, UCF, Washington and Seton Hall.
Longer Term Needs – 2013
- By 2013, the Terps hope to add a couple of program-changers with basketball skill and high IQ. They are targeting Texas guards Andrew and Aaron Harrison and are among the leaders for their services, along with Kentucky, Villanova and Baylor. The Terps are also involved with 2013 center Beejay Anya and point guard Tyler Ennis, among others.
- Wayne Selden 6'5" SG, Tilton (N.H.) School
- Dwayne Morgan, 6'7" SF, Baltimore (Md.) City College
- Kaleb Joseph, 6'2" SG, Cushing (N.H.) Academy