Five-Star's Big Board: Providence
Ed Cooley and Providence are in the mix for high-level talent
The Big Board: Verbal Commitments, Signings and Priority Targets:
Kris Dunn (signed)
Josh Fortune (signed)
Ricky Ledo (signed)
Sidiki Johnson (signed)
Current Roster and Program Needs:
Immediate Needs – 2012
- The Friars welcome an elite recruiting class headlined by McDonald's All-American point guard Kris Dunn, who can immediately help their backcourt. As things stand, junior point guard Vincent Council plays 38.5 minutes a game at the point and the Friars can't afford to take him out. The addition of Dunn, along with shooting guard Josh Fortune and scoring wing Ricky Ledo should automatically help the Friars' depth and offensive punch.
- Providence will likely lose big man Bilal Dixon and need to add an interior presence. They are involved with studs Nerlens Noel, Chris Obekpa and JaKarr Sampson and would be thrilled to land one of them to shore up the interior.
- Longer Term Needs – 2013
- By 2013, Council will be gone but the rest of the team is pretty young. Providence is targeting many of the best young players in the Classes of 2013 and '14, especially New England-area players like 6-9 Goodluck Okonoboh and 6-5 shooting guard Wayne Selden, both of whom play at The Tilton (N.H.) School along with Noel. They also like 2013 James Young, a 6-5 small forward out of Michigan.
- Wayne Selden 6'5" SG, Tilton (N.H.) School
- Jared Terrell, 6'3" SG, New Hampton (Mass.)
- Noah Vonleh, 6'7" PF, New Hampton (Mass.)
Harrison Sanford is a reporter for Fivestarbasketball.com. Follow him on Twitter: @HarrisonSanford