Five-Star's Big Board: N.C. State
Verbal commitments, signings and priority targets
Over the course of the college season, Five-Star will be on the grind, gathering recruiting intelligence for some of the nation's premier programs -- outlining each team's current roster and program needs, commitments and signees, and top recruiting targets for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 classes.
Today, we'll peek inside the N.C. State war room and answer the following questions: What are the immediate and longer-term needs? Who are the Wolfpack after? Which players have decided to take their talents to Raleigh?
FEATURE ARTICLE: N.C. State Aiming to Recruit Nationally Under Gottfried
The Big Board: Verbal Commitments, Signings and Priority Targets:
|Guards||Rodney Purvis (signed)
Tyler Lews (signed)
|Wings/Forwards||T.J. Warren (signed)
Current Roster and Program Needs:
Immediate Needs – 2012
- The Wolfpack will lose senior wing C.J. Williams to graduation, and sophomore forward C.J. Leslie could potentially head to the NBA Draft. They are in good position in the backcout with the additions of Rodney Purvis and Tyler Lewis, as well as on the wing with the athletic and physical T.J. Warren. Mark Gottfried and company are still pursuing late signees Torian Graham, Amile Jefferson and Ricardo Gathers and hope to round out the class with at least one of them.
Longer Term Needs – 2013
- After next season, the team will lose junior bigs Richard Howell, DeShawn Painter and Jordan Vandenberg and shooter Scott Wood. Leslie and sophomore guard Lorenzo Brown could also be gone to the NBA Draft. That will leave them in particular need of wings and bigs and explains their interest in guys like Jefferson and Gathers in 2012 and Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Nerlens Noel, Beejay Anya and Kennedy Meeks in 2013. Of course, everyone in the country wants most of those guys, so landing any of them won't be easy. One thing to keep in mind is that Noel's older brother, Rodman, is a defensive back on the Wolfpack football team.
- The Pack are also targeting several point guards and wings in 2014.
- Eric Johnson, 6'2", PG, Durham (N.C.) Christ School
- JaQuel Richmond, 6'1'', PG, Greensboro (N.C.) Wesleyan Christian
- Theo Pinson, 6'5", SG, Greensboro (N.C.) Wesleyan Christian
- Caleb Martin, 6'5" SG, Mocksville (N.C.) Davie County
- Cody Martin, 6'5" SG, Mocksville (N.C.) Davie County
Harrison Sanford is a reporter for Fivestarbasketball.com. Follow him Twitter: @HarrisonSanford