Five-Star Big Board: Kansas
A look at the Jayhawks' signees, commits and priority targets
Over the course of the college season, Five-Star will be on the grind, gathering recruiting intelligence for some of the nation's premier programs -- outlining each team's current roster and program needs, commitments and signees, and top recruiting targets for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 classes.
Today, we'll peek inside the Kansas war room and answer the following questions: What are the immediate and longer-term needs? Who are the Jayhawks after? Which players have decided to take their talents to Lawrence?
FEATURE ARTICLE: Kansas Sizing up Big Targets for the Future
The Big Board: Verbal Commitments, Signings and Priority Targets:
|Guards||Anrio Adams (committed)||
Conner Frankamp (committed)
Zach Peters (signed)
|Nerlens Noel||Jahlil Okafor
Current Roster and Program Needs:
Immediate Needs – 2012
- Kansas is an active player for several 2012 late signees, including 6'6" Las Vegas Bishop Gorman wing Shabazz Muhammad, although many expect the consensus No. 1 prospect in that class to pick Kentucky, Duke or UCLA. Andrew White, a 6'6" small forward from Chester (Va.) Miller School, could announce any day and is considering Kansas. The Jayhawks could also get 6'8" Brewster Academy forward JaKarr Sampson, the former St. John's signee, or Luke Cothron, an athletic, forward from the College of Southern Idaho. Kansas has recently had success with Brewster products, including junior forward Thomas Robinson and freshman guard Naadir Tharpe.
- Perry Ellis, Zach Peters and Landen Lucas figure to shore up a front line that could lose Robinson to the NBA.
Longer Term Needs – 2013
- Kansas is involved with several of the elite forwards in this class, including Julius Randle and Chris Walker. Either one could be a potential program-changer.
- Though they have a commitment from Conner Frankamp, the Jayhawks are also involved with several point guards from this class, including Isaiah Lewis from Chris the King in Brooklyn, Tyler Ennis of St. Benedict's Prep and Andrew Harrison of Fort Bend (Texas) Travis. They also need scoring wings and would love to land an Allerik Freeman, Brannen Greene, Aaron Harrison or Aaron Gordon.
- Noah Vonleh, 6'7", F, New Hampton (Mass.) Prep
- Jahlil Okafor, 6'8'', C, Whitney Young HS
- Emmanuel Mudiay, 6'4", G, Grace Prep
- Andrew Wiggins, 6'7", SF, Huntington (West Va.) Prep
- Dominique Collier, 6'1", PG, Denver East
- Khadre Lane, 6'3", SG, Bishop Seabury (Kan.) Academy
Harrison Sanford is a reporter for Fivestarbasketball.com. Follow him on Twitter: @HarrisonSanford