Five-Star's Big Board: Marquette
Buzz Williams bringing in big names from around the country
Over the course of the college season, Five-Star will be on the grind, gathering recruiting intelligence for some of the nation's premier programs -- outlining each team's current roster and program needs, commitments and signees, and top recruiting targets for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 classes.
Today, we'll peek inside the Marquette war room and answer the following questions: What are the immediate and longer-term needs? Who are the Golden Eagles after? Which players have decided to take their talents to Milwaukee? Take the jump.
FEATURE ARTICLE: T.J. Taylor Could be Next for Marquette
The Big Board: Verbal Commitments, Signings and Priority Targets:
Jamal Ferguson (signed)
Steve Taylor (signed)
Deonte Burton (committed)
Aaron Durley (signed)
|Kyle Washington||Sean O'Mara|
Current Roster and Program Needs:
Immediate Needs – 2012
- Buzz Williams and the Marquette staff believe they've pretty much addressed all of their needs with their incoming four-man class. If 6'4" combo guard T.J. Taylor can in any way approximate the Darius Johnson-Odom type of role, as the staff believes he can, Marquette will be in good shape going forward. 6'7" forward Steve Taylor and 6'10" center Aaron Durley figure to slot in as up-and-coming bigs behind Chris Otule and Davante Gardner. "I think our staff does a good job of developing those guys," Williams said.
- Williams also expects freshman point guard Todd Mayo, sophomore shooting guard Vander Blue and sophomore forward Jamil Wilson to take big steps next year.
- If Marquette loses somebody and a scholarship opens up, the staff plans to sign another shooter.
Longer Term Needs – 2013
- The 6'4" Deonte Burton is a guy who can put it on the deck and also shoot it, but the next area of need will be another shooter.
- Going forward beyond 2013, Marquette will need one of each: a point guard, a wing who can shoot, a wing who can play the three and another four/five man.